How to Create a Customized Home Organization Plan
Crafting a Custom Home Organization Strategy
Do you feel like the clutter in your home never ends? If it often seems that your home is drowning in stuff, it might be time to devise a customized home organization plan. Not only will it make life easier, but it will add a certain air of calm to your home that comes from having the proper systems in place. Whether your dream is to have your jeans organized by color or to finally get control of all the paperwork, you can use the guidelines below to create a plan that works for you.
Steps to Create a Custom Home Organization Plan
- Assess Your Space: Begin by taking stock of your space. This will help you to understand the size of the problem and determine how long it will likely take you to organize. You should measure the room, note any storage areas such as closets, and determine how frequently you would like the areas to be organized.
- Make a List of Areas to Organize: Start making a list of all the areas in your home that you would like to organize (closets, kitchen cabinets, drawers, etc.). This serves as a great reminder of spaces that might otherwise be overlooked.
- Declutter and Sort the Areas: Once the list is complete, it is time to start decluttering. Sort the space into three piles: items to keep, items to toss, and items to donate. When in doubt, make sure to err on the side of purging.
- Recruit Professional Help When Needed: Once you’ve cleared out the clutter, you might need a little extra help to keep your plan running smoothly. A professional organizer can help you devise a plan that works for your family, create custom storage solutions, or provide ongoing support.
- Create Your Organization Strategy: When your space is clear, it is time to create your organization strategy. Think about how you will store each item, what categories you will use, and exactly how you will maintain order in the future. This might include specific techniques for storing items, a way to limit what items come into the house, or a routine for putting things away.
- Make It Easy to Maintain: Keeping your newly organized space in order is key. Take the time to create systems that will be easy for you and your family to follow. This might include labels, rules for organizing, and scheduling regular clean-outs.
Creating a customized home organization plan can sound daunting but it doesn’t have to be. With the right system in place, it is easy to keep your home clean and clutter-free. The plan should reflect your lifestyle, needs and organizational style. With consistent effort you can create an oasis of order.
The best part of designing a custom plan is that it is designed specifically for you and your family. You can tailor it to fit your lifestyle, needs and preferences so that it works in harmony with your life.
The key to making the plan work lies in being consistent. Take the time to maintain your home on a regular basis and establish a routine that works for everyone. Once the plan is in motion, it will be easy to keep track of the items in your home and stay organized.
Creating a custom home organization plan isn’t a one time solution. It requires continual attention and effort to keep it running like a well-oiled machine. In the end, it will be worth it. Not only will you feel great about the order in your home, but you will also have more time for the things you love.