Table of Contents
- 1 Integrating Different Home Decor Styles for a Unique Eclectic Look
Integrating Different Home Decor Styles for a Unique Eclectic Look
The power of design lies in its ability to tailor a space to reflect who you are and to make it uniquely yours. Every home is a reflection of its owners, and so mixing styles, eras and textures can be a perfect way to express your personality in your home. If you want to create a diverse and open atmosphere, eclectic decor is the way to go – and how you choose to combine various elements is why your home can tell a story, be it subtle or bold.
What is Eclectic Decor?
Eclectic decor is an interior design style wherein the elements and designs used to stylize the house are a mix of different and unusual designs. The key to an eclectic home décor is to mix different eras, materials, and styles, while making sure everything comes together in the most beautiful way.
How to Layer Different Design Elements to Create an Eclectic Home
Creating an eclectic home can be quite exciting, especially when it comes to experimenting with unique offbeat decor pieces. Here are some handy tips to help you along:
- Thematic Approach: A celebratory and consistent approach towards decor elements is key. Bring together an overarching theme – it could be anything from geometric styles to rustic pallette- that you’d like to weave through all your design elements. Anchor down this concept in a few pieces and use the rest to accent and pull the space together.
- Contrast: Choosing contrasting items gives off an illusion of space and depth; for instance, mixing an industrial-looking fixture in a traditionally cozy and rustic setting can add a modern flair to space.
- Experiment: Be daring and don’t be afraid to add in unusual and offbeat pieces along with the classical designs that you’re used to. Don’t forget to mix colors, materials and textures too.
- Create: Pick up a paintbrush or invest in a colorful carpet. If you’re feeling a bit more daring, try combining different patterned fabrics.
Getting a Balance Between Styles, Colors and Textures
Don’t be intimidated by the abundance of choices. Instead, try to bring patterns and colors together in a balanced and pleasant way, but don’t forgo the textures either! Creating a cohesive look is about more than just colors. In a similar fashion, don’t be afraid to mix old finds with contemporary pieces; but make sure their colors work together.
Choosing the Right Pieces
Go on a home décor shopping spree and scour flea markets and antique shops to find the perfect match. Pick elements that have an interesting shape and texture; or perhaps an interesting color that you can incorporate in small doses throughout the décor.
In combination with modern pieces, vintage finds work well together because they bring together different patterns, colors, and shapes which could be used to give a deliberate action that links multiple design elements.
Selecting a Focal Point for the Room
Incorporate a focal point piece which would be the main feature of the room. This could be anything from a wall art, furniture or even a rug. Layering piece over piece builds dimension and works towards bringing the room together.
Accent Pieces to Finish off the Look
Finally, add accent pieces to bring the eclectic look to life. Add lighting pieces such as lamps, wall sconces or candles – check out flea markets and antique stores for unique finds. Throw in some accents such as a mirror.
Setting the scene with an array of pillows, an area rug, and a patterned piece of furniture is another good idea. Accessorize with sculptures or Figurines which have interesting details or finishes, and even sculptures to give a classic look.
Bringing it All Together
In essence, the eclectic approach towards interior design gives you the opportunity to draw creative energy from the eras, styles and materials of the past and refresh them for today’s trends. It’s the perfect canvas for expressing creativity and making any home exclusively yours.
So explore and have fun! Mix and match prints, colors, and textures from different parts of the world and make your own story come ALIVE. Carefully chosen and thoughtfully balanced details will make all the difference in the end.
Creating a unique and distinctive eclectic home style is very achievable with a few carefully crafted style elements. See where your sense of taste and texture takes you!.