Revamp your Colonial Home: Interior Decorating Tips to Achieve a Modern Look
For many homeowners, a colonial-style home offers a certain classic, timeless charm. However, even houses with a long and rich heritage need periodic updating to keep them looking contemporary. With a few minor changes, you can take your colonial home from the past and give it a modern look. Here are some interior decorating ideas to help you revamp your colonial home.
Tips for Updating the Look of a Colonial Home
- Let the Light Shine In: Try to open up the home and make it brighter by selectively removing walls. Consider installing larger windows to bring in more light and highlighting the windows with white shutters. This is an appropriate aesthetic choice for a colonial style home, but it also updates the look to reflect a more modern one.
- Choose Simple Furnishings: Furniture should be functional and comfortable. Choose pieces that have a simple design yet add interest. Stick with muted colors to keep the interior of the home feeling warm and inviting. Rather than using accessories to bring in bits of color, consider painting an accent wall to add just the right touch of color without overwhelming the space.
- Display Antiques: Feature antique furniture and traditional decorative pieces to reflect the home’s colonial style, while also providing a look that reflects a modern style. Incorporate antiques, such as grandfather clocks or armoires, with more contemporary pieces, such as area rugs or prints, to inject some freshness into the home.
- Bring in Fresh Plants: House plants can do wonders to bring in freshness, texture and color to a colonial home. Place plants strategically in the home to add a natural, outdoorsy atmosphere. Don’t be afraid to mix and match leaf shapes and sizes to create a modern, eclectic look.
- Update Lighting: Lighting can make or break the mood of a home. Utilize updated fixtures that give off a more contemporary vibe. Decorative light fixtures, such as sconces or pendant lighting, can drastically change the atmosphere of a room.
- Incorporate Greenery: Freshly cut flowers and trees are the perfect way to bring in the contemporary style that you are trying for. Place vases of flowers on end tables or walls for a pop of color. For larger spaces, trees, shrubs and other greenery create a bold statement.
By following these tips, you can quickly and easily transform your home into a modern, yet classic, space. Even a house rich with colonial-style heritage can be revitalized into something that looks and feels much more modern and contemporary. Plus, you will be able to take advantage of the home’s timeless nature and blend the old with the new.
When revamping your colonial-style home, the possibilities are truly endless. Play around with different looks and decor combinations and don’t be afraid to experiment with colors and patterns. You will never know what looks good until you try it out for yourself. Ultimately, updating the look of your colonial-style home can be a fun and enjoyable experience. With these tips in mind, don’t hesitate to revamp your colonial home interior to achieve a modern look.